Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Where are ya gonna be opening day?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/1/2013 6:02:04 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Got my tickets for Stanford at Rice!
edited by ASU74 on 2/1/2013

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
2/1/2013 6:42:08 AM

weg313
weg313
Flying down to Houston on Thursday (from frigid Chicago-- it's 2 degrees above today with windchills in the negative 30s), and will be in my usual seats in the 2nd row behind the home plate screen for the Rice - Stanford series. I'm assuming Kendall will be manning the gun several rows back from me.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
2/1/2013 8:13:23 AM

ASU74
ASU74
weg313 wrote:
Flying down to Houston on Thursday (from frigid Chicago-- it's 2 degrees above today with windchills in the negative 30s), and will be in my usual seats in the 2nd row behind the home plate screen for the Rice - Stanford series. I'm assuming Kendall will be manning the gun several rows back from me.

WEG313
I'll be on the 3rd base side behind the dugout pulling for the Pac & looking like...........a Sun Devil. FYI it will be in the mid 70's here today. During the Regional last year we were able to get a beer at the Owl's nest. Thirsty?

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
2/1/2013 9:44:16 AM

weg313
weg313
ASU74 wrote:
weg313 wrote:

WEG313
I'll be on the 3rd base side behind the dugout pulling for the Pac & looking like...........a Sun Devil. FYI it will be in the mid 70's here today. During the Regional last year we were able to get a beer at the Owl's nest. Thirsty?

ASU74
We appear to be of the same era, as I graduated from Rice in '78. Let's touch base closer to the game. I'd love to have a beer with you in The Roost (down the 3rd base line), but I usually attend the Rice Baseball Parents' tailgate prior to the game, so I doubt I'll get into Reckling more than 30 minutes prior to game time.

--
0 permalink
2/1/2013 1:12:41 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Done deal
beer

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
2/3/2013 11:35:20 PM

DirtbagBlues
DirtbagBlues
Parked in front of my laptop (if I'm not at work). :/ I miss southern California. On the bright side, I may take in a Division III game on Saturday, so there's that.

--
dirtbagblues.blogspot.com
0 permalink
2/6/2013 9:38:58 AM

djbfootball1
djbfootball1
Right there on the 1st base side at UFCU Disch Falk Field with my camera in my hand...
0 permalink
2/6/2013 9:38:08 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
at work...bummer
0 permalink
2/7/2013 7:21:50 PM

bobbyor
bobbyor
Mississippi State watching University of Portland
0 permalink
2/8/2013 11:20:21 AM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
At the Bosh watching my Diamond Heels take on Seton Hall.
0 permalink
2/9/2013 5:05:22 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Make that two checking in for the Bosh Friday to see the #1 Heels take the field!
0 permalink
2/12/2013 8:43:03 PM

Celtdad10
Celtdad10
Miami, Stony Brook at FIU. Looking forward to the heat, even if it's 70 degree rain.
0 permalink
2/13/2013 9:38:08 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Listening at home on the radio, hopefully at the Box on Saturday!!!
0 permalink
2/15/2013 8:58:42 AM

weg313
weg313
weg313 wrote:
ASU74 wrote:
weg313 wrote:

WEG313e

ASU74
We appear to be of the same era, as I graduated from Rice in '78. Let's touch base closer to the game. I'd love to have a beer with you in The Roost (down the 3rd base line), but I usually attend the Rice Baseball Parents' tailgate prior to the game, so I doubt I'll get into Reckling more than 30 minutes prior to game time.

ASU, I doubt I'll make it into Reckling much before game time today; however, tomorrow (Saturday) I'll be in The Roost down the 3B line early, as we have an Owl Club tailgate there with the 2003 national championship team. If you'd like to grab a beer around 1:00pm tomorrow, I'll be there. How can I find you-- if you're wearing a Sun Devil cap I should be able to single you out.

--
0 permalink
2/15/2013 11:05:35 AM

ASU74
ASU74
weg:
I'll be Sec K, Row 8, Seat 1 all weekend adorned w/ASU cap & such.
Did you know Mark Appel's uncle is the Dean of Architecture at Rice. How ironic.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
2/15/2013 12:37:15 PM

weg313
weg313
ASU74 wrote:
weg:
I'll be Sec K, Row 8, Seat 1 all weekend adorned w/ASU cap & such.
Did you know Mark Appel's uncle is the Dean of Architecture at Rice. How ironic.

My season seat is Section F/Row 2/Seat 8, immediately behind home plate, and I'll be there all weekend.

Of course I knew about Appel's uncle, and I've met a couple of his aunts and uncles who are Rice alums. Rice Sr RF Michael Ratterree played on the same little league and chuch league team as Appel before Mark and his family moved out to California.

--
0 permalink
2/17/2013 9:22:33 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I gotta know if the two of you hooked up. I'd love to hear about what you saw. Is Stanford not as good as predicted, or is Rice better than predicted?

weg313 wrote:
weg313 wrote:
ASU74 wrote:
weg313 wrote:

WEG313e

ASU74

ASU, I doubt I'll make it into Reckling much before game time today; however, tomorrow (Saturday) I'll be in The Roost down the 3B line early, as we have an Owl Club tailgate there with the 2003 national championship team. If you'd like to grab a beer around 1:00pm tomorrow, I'll be there. How can I find you-- if you're wearing a Sun Devil cap I should be able to single you out.

edited by BeaverBob on 2/17/2013
0 permalink
2/18/2013 8:29:33 AM

ASU74
ASU74
BB
We hooked up very briefly just before the start of game 2.
Here is what I saw...from my perspective & weg may have a different perspective.
Stanford strenths:
  • Bullpen
  • Infield
  • Ability to battle back
  • We all know Rice touched Appel pretty good, but that is short term.
Stanford weaknesses
  • Outfield arms. Last year I saw them in the ASU & Stanford series & was VERY impressed by the spped & accuracy of the outfield arms. Didn't see it in this series.
  • Catcher. 2 errors by soph on 1 play...little league stuff
  • Not as aggrssive on the bases as they have been in the past.
  • Bats & offense...attributable to Rice pitching?

Rice strengths
  • Downtown power
  • Pitching. Starters & bullpen.
  • Overall just sound baseball.
Rice weaknesses
  • Speed on the bases.

This is all IMO. Weg...your input....

edited by ASU74 on 2/18/2013

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
2/19/2013 5:00:38 AM

weg313
weg313
ASU74 wrote:
BB
We hooked up very briefly just before the start of game 2.
Here is what I saw...from my perspective & weg may have a different perspective.
Stanford strenths:
  • Bullpen
  • Infield
  • Ability to battle back
  • We all know Rice touched Appel pretty good, but that is short term.
Stanford weaknesses
  • Outfield arms. Last year I saw them in the ASU & Stanford series & was VERY impressed by the spped & accuracy of the outfield arms. Didn't see it in this series.
  • Catcher. 2 errors by soph on 1 play...little league stuff
  • Not as aggrssive on the bases as they have been in the past.
  • Bats & offense...attributable to Rice pitching?

Rice strengths
  • Downtown power
  • Pitching. Starters & bullpen.
  • Overall just sound baseball.
Rice weaknesses
  • Speed on the bases.

This is all IMO. Weg...your input....

I still say Stanford's greatest strength is their scary Murderers Row in the middle of their lineup. Diekroeger-Ragira-Wilson-Blandino is as potent a #3 - #6 as you're going to find in college baseball. I'm not as impressed at Stanford's other pitching as others (including Kendall) have stated, as though they kept the Rice run totals down, in truth this was largely due to a flurry of line drives being hit directly at Stanford defenders; particularly in Game 2. In that game, Rice hit 7 line shots for outs, including 3 for inning-ending double plays (and 4 with runners in scoring position). Jose is better than he looked in the series, and both Kauppula and Ringo are extremely disciplined hitters who are going to have high OBPs (well above .400).

I agree with ASU74 that both Stanford catchers (Taylor and Barr) were a liability behind the plate defensively, as neither appeared capable of blocking balls in the dirt.

--
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Where are ya gonna be opening day?