Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Collegiate Baseball Top 40 Preseason Poll

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
12/21/2012 6:04:38 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Collegiate Baseball Top 40 Preseason Poll

1. Arkansas

2. North Carolina

3. Vanderbilt

4. LSU

5. UCLA

6. Oregon

7. South Carolina

8. Kentucky

9. Stanford

10. Oregon State

11. NC State

12. San Diego

13. Mississippi State

14. Oklahoma

15. TCU

16. Arizona State

17. Georgia Tech

18. Arizona

19. Florida State

20. Rice

21. Texas

22. Louisville

23. Cal State Fullerton

24. Florida

25. Ole Miss

26. Texas A&M

27. Clemson

28. Miami (Fla.)

29. Georgia

30. UC Irvine

31. Missouri State

32. Wichita State

33. New Mexico

34. Kent State

35. Virginia

36. Southern Miss

37. East Carolina

38. Coastal Carolina

39. Dallas Baptist

40. Pepperdine

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
12/23/2012 11:26:11 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
ASU74, thanks for posting. Looks like a bunch of Pac 12 teams in the top 25. What are you expecting for ASU?

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy NewYear.
0 permalink
12/24/2012 1:29:44 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
BB. Nice to see you here. I like where we are. I hope we pan out like we should. With Yeskie going to a different position with the team, who will be the pitching coach? Some one with a bit of good sense I hope.
0 permalink
12/28/2012 2:00:19 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
FB, good to hear from you. I agree -- the Beavs are are in a good place. I just wish Fry wasn't out out for the season. Regarding Yeskie, I heard he will still be the Beavs pitching coach in addition to his other duties. Oh well -- his coaching will give us something to talk about.

I hope you and your family had a great Christmas. Looking forward to getting baseball underway.

Florida Beaver wrote:
BB. Nice to see you here. I like where we are. I hope we pan out like we should. With Yeskie going to a different position with the team, who will be the pitching coach? Some one with a bit of good sense I hope.
0 permalink
12/28/2012 5:46:54 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Hay Guys....less then 50 days to go....was considering coming up to Beaver Land to see ASU, but geeezz a 7 hour flight from Houston.....I'd be working on my 2nd hang over even before I started the drive from Portland.

Rice opens their season against Stanford down here so the chance to get to see Appel who will be a 1st rounder if not the #1 pick is too good and convenient to pass up.

Will also get to see Cal at Rice. Last time I saw them here, they defeated Baylor in the SR & took off to the CWS.

The Razorbacks will be at ASU for the Coke Classic...they will play them twice. I got a 6 pack of St Pauli Girl wager with my Razorback friend. Only a sweep will win. I'll be there for that!

I was hunting a week ago & I swear I saw RD flying over.....I missed & he got away, but some of his brothern ended up on the dinner table.Gun

You all have a Happy & safe New Year.Applause

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
1/1/2013 2:12:38 PM

weg313
weg313
ASU74 wrote:
Hay Guys....less then 50 days to go....was considering coming up to Beaver Land to see ASU, but geeezz a 7 hour flight from Houston.....I'd be working on my 2nd hang over even before I started the drive from Portland.

Rice opens their season against Stanford down here so the chance to get to see Appel who will be a 1st rounder if not the #1 pick is too good and convenient to pass up.

Will also get to see Cal at Rice. Last time I saw them here, they defeated Baylor in the SR & took off to the CWS.

The Razorbacks will be at ASU for the Coke Classic...they will play them twice. I got a 6 pack of St Pauli Girl wager with my Razorback friend. Only a sweep will win. I'll be there for that!

I was hunting a week ago & I swear I saw RD flying over.....I missed & he got away, but some of his brothern ended up on the dinner table.Gun

Austin Kubitza vs. Appel should be another instant classic with two likely first rounders facing each other in the season opener. Suggest getting your tickets early as Rice-Stanford averaged just under 4,000 attendance for the season-opening series at Reckling 2 years ago. If your down in Houston, I'd also suggest the Minute Maid Classic the 3rd weekend of the season with Rice, UNC, A&M, Baylor and Cal all participating (along with Houston).

As for the CB preseason rankings, as usual, they overrank the perennial powers and big names (e.g., Texas) even when not warranted, and underrank potentially elite teams from conferences outside the Big 4. Southern Miss, in particular, is ridiculously underranked at #36. USM comes into the 2013 season absolutely loaded-- both on the mound and offensively. I think Rice should be preseason ranked in the #13 - #17 range, and USM has the potential to be favored over Rice in C-USA play.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
1/3/2013 2:16:22 PM

ASU74
ASU74
weg313
I just posted this for those who may be interested....reality is where you are ranked on June 26, 2013.

I went to the Minute Maid Classic last year cuz my Razorback friend was here.....they sure had a great following.

This year I'll pass...Cal wil play at Rice on Monday then the next two days Penn State plays at Houston. My cousin went to Penn State...sent me a T shirt so I gotta go & pull for his guys. I don't know if my butt will put up with 7 straight days in the stands.

THX for the heads up un the tickets for Stanford at Rice. I'll get them early.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
1/4/2013 7:35:26 AM

HSF
HSF
Texas is a year removed from going to Omaha and would’ve been a contender last year had not been devastated by injuries. And brought in the 7th best recruiting class in the country according to BA, which includes the top offensive recruit in the country.

Rice is the one that is overrated after choking away another easy home regional last year.

Aaron Fitt has picked Texas to be get back to a Super this year – sorry walt, he knows much more than you.

If anything Texas is underrated in that poll.

Your crybaby agenda against Texas is an old stale bit. Who won the Texas/Rice game last year at MM? and when was the last time Rice went to Omaha?
+1 permalink
1/4/2013 3:24:30 PM

weg313
weg313
HSF wrote:
Texas is a year removed from going to Omaha and would’ve been a contender last year had not been devastated by injuries. And brought in the 7th best recruiting class in the country according to BA, which includes the top offensive recruit in the country.

Rice is the one that is overrated after choking away another easy home regional last year.

Aaron Fitt has picked Texas to be get back to a Super this year – sorry walt, he knows much more than you.

Your crybaby agenda against Texas is an old stale bit. Who won the Texas/Rice game last year at MM? and when was the last time Rice went to Omaha?

1. What in the world does what transpired in last year's post-season have to do with how teams are ranked heading into 2013? Nada. BTW, hard to call that regional "easy" when you had Omaha-bound Arkansas in it.

2. Even before the injury bug hit UT last season, they were struggling. Sure, the injuries to the pitching staff devasted the Longhorns down the stretch, but there is no way they were an Omaha team even before the injuries last year. Not even close. Their offense was once again putrid.

3. Let's wait and see BA's preseason rankings before jumping the gun. I very much doubt Aaron Fitt has UT ranked ahead of the Owls heading into the season (not that that matters one bit).

4. I have no agenda against Texas. It's Augie who is afraid to play Rice, and who walked away from the agreed upon deal to play annual weekend series...and that's a fact.

--
+1 permalink
1/4/2013 4:52:26 PM

HSF
HSF
Oh please, your inferiority complex and butthurt over all things Texas has been long documented on message boards (the old yahoo board)

The fact that you point out only Texas as your “e.g. overrated team” out of a list of 40 teams on this thread proves it once again.

Yes, preseason rankings mean nothing…we will see who has the better team at the end of the season.

You also prove once again that you don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about, Texas injuries did not start late in the year, before the season started the most devastating one occurred when they lost the Friday starter, who was an Preseason All-American – Sam Stafford….then two more pitchers went down later in the year and another had to be dismissed…no team in the country could overcome that type of pitcher exodus.

And I like how you won’t even acknowledge the fact that Texas, despite all of the injuries, still kicked Rice’s tail last year, and that “putrid” offense put up 11 runs – who started that game for Rice? Oh yeah Kubitza – your 1st round pick.

Still bitter?

By the way, your number 4 is incorrect, I’m sure that is what you are telling yourself and might be the line that Graham is spewing, but it is false; not even close to how it went down.

Plus Texas has absolutely owned the series all-time versus Rice, so no reason to be scared.
edited by HSF on 1/4/2013
0 permalink
1/4/2013 5:19:03 PM

djbfootball1
djbfootball1
weg313 wrote:
HSF wrote:

1. What in the world does what transpired in last year's post-season have to do with how teams are ranked heading into 2013? Nada. BTW, hard to call that regional "easy" when you had Omaha-bound Arkansas in it.

2. Even before the injury bug hit UT last season, they were struggling. Sure, the injuries to the pitching staff devasted the Longhorns down the stretch, but there is no way they were an Omaha team even before the injuries last year. Not even close. Their offense was once again putrid.

3. Let's wait and see BA's preseason rankings before jumping the gun. I very much doubt Aaron Fitt has UT ranked ahead of the Owls heading into the season (not that that matters one bit).

4. I have no agenda against Texas. It's Augie who is afraid to play Rice, and who walked away from the agreed upon deal to play annual weekend series...and that's a fact.

We could sit here all day and say He said that and He said that... It appears that both coaches walked away from that series not one or the other..
0 permalink
1/4/2013 6:01:38 PM

weg313
weg313
djbfootball1 wrote:
weg313 wrote:
HSF wrote:

We could sit here all day and say He said that and He said that... It appears that both coaches walked away from that series not one or the other..

That's not true...and I'm pretty sure Kendall knows the real story. It's Augie who, after reaching the agreement with Rice, then turned around (without even the courtesy of informing Coach Graham) and scheduled their 4-game road trip to Hawaii the weekend they had been scheduled to play Rice.

As for HSF, why would any Rice baseball fan have an "inferiority complex" with regards to UT? Over the past 15 years (since 1996 - '97), the two programs have engaged in terrific rivalry, usually (up until two years ago) playing 2 - 3 regular season games annually, and frequently meeting up in the post-season. During that stretch, UT has won a couple more championships, but both have been perennial Top 20 ranked teams...both have reached Omaha a similar number of times (and more frequently than any program in the country)...and both have a similar number of national seeds earned. My guess is that the overall W - L record over the past 15 years is pretty darn close to being equal. Both programs have owned lengthy win streaks against the other during that stretch. It's been a great rivalry, and one I have enjoyed immensely.

--
0 permalink
1/4/2013 7:02:05 PM

HSF
HSF
I love the Texas/Rice series too and wish it would continue. But to put that all on Augie is incorrect. Yes, Texas backed out to go to Hawaii (who could blame that) but it was Graham who then cut off any further talks for continuing the series, not Garrido,

Teams change scheduling plans late in the game all the time, Augie was wrong to do it last minute, but Graham was wrong to get so butthurt not to try and schedule in the future.

Both guys are at fault.
0 permalink
1/6/2013 7:43:23 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm loving the discussion here. I wish we had more on this forum. While I am neither a Texas or Rice fan, I can understand the passion and arguments from both sides.
+1 permalink
1/6/2013 7:47:03 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Come on ASU 74. I have the perfect elixer for a hangover. If you change your mind, let me know. I'll have a ticket waiting for you. I'm sure us Beaver regulars, even good ole River Duck would love to see you in our Beaver State.

ASU74 wrote:

0 permalink
1/7/2013 8:40:13 AM

HSF
HSF
I would love to go to a game in Corvallis myself.
Especially this year to see Conforto in person....he's a beast
0 permalink
1/7/2013 2:12:29 PM

ASU74
ASU74
BeaverBob wrote:
Come on ASU 74. I have the perfect elixer for a hangover. If you change your mind, let me know. I'll have a ticket waiting for you. I'm sure us Beaver regulars, even good ole River Duck would love to see you in our Beaver State.

BB
I know what your "elixer" is.....the way to cure a hangover is to stay drunk!Toast

I truely appreciate your offer & I'd like to see you guys also. I did double check the flight schedule & the last flight out of Portland on Sunday is 3:00 pm. The Sunday game starts @ 12:05....long way to go for 2 games.

How's about next year we all meet half way & meet in Tempe for the series? I'll buy the 1st round. beer
I'm pretty sure it will not rain nor snow during the game!
edited by ASU74 on 1/7/2013

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
1/10/2013 9:28:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
ASU74, I'll hold you to your offer. I'm actually getting down to the Phoenix area on a regular basis with my new job. I love the weather this time of year.

ASU74 wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

BB
I know what your "elixer" is.....the way to cure a hangover is to stay drunk!Toast

I truely appreciate your offer & I'd like to see you guys also. I did double check the flight schedule & the last flight out of Portland on Sunday is 3:00 pm. The Sunday game starts @ 12:05....long way to go for 2 games.

How's about next year we all meet half way & meet in Tempe for the series? I'll buy the 1st round. beer
I'm pretty sure it will not rain nor snow during the game!
0 permalink
1/10/2013 9:30:37 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
HSF, what's your story? It looks like you are fairly new to this forum. What team do you suppport?

HSF wrote:
I would love to go to a game in Corvallis myself.
Especially this year to see Conforto in person....he's a beast
0 permalink
1/10/2013 9:34:42 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
FB, I hope all is well. I just spent a few days in Mobile, Alabama. It kind of reminded me of Albany, Oregon, but with even more rednecks and less sophistication. I felt right at home

Florida Beaver wrote:
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Collegiate Baseball Top 40 Preseason Poll